Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne
Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne
Having joined the RAF in 1941 he completed training to become a pilot before joining 90 Sqn which made a significant contribution to the Battle of the Ruhr as well as raids on Hamburg and Peenemunde. Also serving with 15 Sqn he flew both Wellingtons and Lancasters.
Items Signed by Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne
| ||No.76 Squadron Halifax by Ivan Berryman. (AP)|
Price : £170.00
|Halifaxes of No.76 Squadron RAF en route to another night bombing raid over Germany. The lead aircraft here has code MP-L. Serial numbers for aircraft were unique, but codes like MP-L were transferred after an aircraft was lost. A total of 10 air......|
Packs with at least one item featuring the signature of Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne
|Pilot / Aircrew Signed WW2 Halifax Prints by Ivan Berryman and Gerald Coulson.|
Pack Price : £300.00
Saving : £180
|Aviation Print Pack. ......|
Titles in this pack :
Leading the Way by Gerald Coulson.
No.76 Squadron Halifax by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne
|Squadrons for : Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne|
|A list of all squadrons known to have been served with by Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne. A profile page is available by clicking the squadron name.|
No.143 Sqn RAF
Country : UK
Founded : 1st February 1918
Fate : Disbanded 25th May 1945
Vincere est vivere - To conquer is to live
|No.143 Sqn RAF|
No. 143 Squadron Royal Flying Corps was formed on 1 March 1918 and became a unit of the Royal Air Force a month later, but it disbanded on 31 October 1919 having operated the Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Snipe. On 15 June 1941, No. 143 reformed at Aldergrove as a long-range fighter unit in Coastal Command equipped with Beaufighters and became operational almost immediately. Early in June the Squadron moved first to north-east England and then to Scotland for convoy patrols along the east coast. In December 1941, No. 143 returned to Ireland and became non-operational, giving up its Beaufighters for Blenheims and becoming a training unit. In August 1942, the Squadron moved to East Anglia for convoy patrols and air-sea rescue missions and in September once more began to re-equip with Beaufighters, becoming operational on anti-shipping raids in November. On the 18 April 1943, by which time the wing was better prepared. This time all three squadrons were involved in the attack, while cover was provided by Fighter Command. The attack on a heavily armed convoy near the Dutch coast was a success, and no British aircraft were lost. The squadron remained with the Coates Wing until the late summer. In August 1943 No. 143 moved to Cornwall to provide fighter support for anti-submarine aircraft operating over the Bay of Biscay. In February 1944, it returned to North Coates to resume attacks on enemy shipping and in May moved to Manston to fly anti-E-boat patrols. In October 1944, No. 143 moved to northern Scotland where it converted to Mosquitoes as part of the Banff strike wing for attacks on enemy shipping off Norway for the rest of the war. On 25 May 1945, the Squadron was disbanded and its personnel transferred to No. 14 Squadron.
No.90 Sqn RAF
Country : UK
Founded : 8th October 1917
Fate : Disbanded 1st March 1965
Celer - Swift
|No.90 Sqn RAF|
Full profile not yet available.
|Aircraft for : Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne|
|A list of all aircraft associated with Flight Lieutenant Tom Payne. A profile page including a list of all art prints for the aircraft is available by clicking the aircraft name.|
Manufacturer : Avro
Production Began : 1942
Retired : 1963
Number Built : 7377
The Avro Lancaster arose from the avro Manchester and the first prototype Lancaster was a converted Manchester with four engines. The Lancaster was first flown in January 1941, and started operations in March 1942. By March 1945 The Royal Air Force had 56 squadrons of Lancasters with the first squadron equipped being No.44 Squadron. During World War Two the Avro Lancaster flew 156,000 sorties and dropped 618,378 tonnes of bombs between 1942 and 1945. Lancaster Bomberss took part in the devastating round-the-clock raids on Hamburg during Air Marshall Harris' Operation Gomorrah in July 1943. Just 35 Lancasters completed more than 100 successful operations each, and 3,249 were lost in action. The most successful survivor completed 139 operations, and the Lancaster was scrapped after the war in 1947. A few Lancasters were converted into tankers and the two tanker aircraft were joined by another converted Lancaster and were used in the Berlin Airlift, achieving 757 tanker sorties. A famous Lancaster bombing raid was the 1943 mission, codenamed Operation Chastise, to destroy the dams of the Ruhr Valley. The operation was carried out by 617 Squadron in modified Mk IIIs carrying special drum shaped bouncing bombs designed by Barnes Wallis. Also famous was a series of Lancaster attacks using Tallboy bombs against the German battleship Tirpitz, which first disabled and later sank the ship. The Lancaster bomber was the basis of the new Avro Lincoln bomber, initially known as the Lancaster IV and Lancaster V. (Becoming Lincoln B1 and B2 respectively.) Their Lancastrian airliner was also based on the Lancaster but was not very successful. Other developments were the Avro York and the successful Shackleton which continued in airborne early warning service up to 1992.
Manufacturer : Vickers
Production Began : 1938
Retired : 1953
The Vickers Wellington was a Bomber aircraft and also used for maritime reconnaissance. and had a normal crew of six except in the MKV and VI where a crew of three was used. Maximum speed was 235 mph (MK1c) 255 mph (MK III, X) and 299 mph (MK IIII), normal operating range of 1805 miles (except MK III which was 1470miles) The Wellington or Wimpy as it was known, was the major bomber of the Royal Air Force between 1939 and 1943. The Royal Air Force received its first Wellingtons in October 1938 to 99 squadron. and by the outbreak of World war two there were 6 squadrons equipped with the Vickers Wellington. Due to heavy losses on daylight raids, the Wellington became a night bomber and from 1940 was also used as a long range bomber in North Africa. and in 1942 also became a long range bomber for the royal Air Force in India. It was well used by Coastal Command as a U-Boat Hunter. The Wellington remained in service with the Royal Air Force until 1953. Probably due to its versatile use, The aircraft was also used for experimental work including the fitting of a pressure cabin for High altitude tests. The Vickers Wellington could sustain major damage and still fly, probably due to its construction of its geodesic structure and practical application of geodesic lines. Designed by Sir Barnes Wallis
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax:
(+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:
Return to Home Page