FREE worldwide shipping for orders over £120
Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
|CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF ALL IVAN BERRYMAN PRINTS BY TITLE|
|Flying Officer Jack Easter|
Joining the RAF in 1940 he was a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner on both Halifaxes and Liberators with 148 Sqn which served on Special Duties carrying out supply drops and pick-up missions to resistance groups. Before leaving the RAF in December 1945 he had completed 75 Operations and over 500 hours of flying.
Items Signed by Flying Officer Jack Easter
| ||No.76 Squadron Halifax by Ivan Berryman. (AP)|
Price : £170.00
|Halifaxes of No.76 Squadron RAF en route to another night bombing raid over Germany. The lead aircraft here has code MP-L. Serial numbers for aircraft were unique, but codes like MP-L were transferred after an aircraft was lost. A total of 10 air......|
Packs with at least one item featuring the signature of Flying Officer Jack Easter
|Pilot / Aircrew Signed WW2 Halifax Prints by Ivan Berryman and Gerald Coulson.|
Pack Price : £300.00
Saving : £180
|Aviation Print Pack. ......|
Titles in this pack :
Leading the Way by Gerald Coulson.
No.76 Squadron Halifax by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
|Squadrons for : Flying Officer Jack Easter|
|A list of all squadrons known to have been served with by Flying Officer Jack Easter. A profile page is available by clicking the squadron name.|
Country : UK
Founded : 10th February 1918
Fate : 1956 was detached to Malta for attacks on Egyptian airfields during the Suez operation. In April 1965, the Squadron was disbanded after the grounding
|No.148 Sqn RAF|
The squadron was formed at Andover Aerodrome on 10 February 1918, it moved to Ford Junction Aerodrome on 1 March 1918 where it was equipped with the Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2b and moved to France on 25 April 1918. squadron's outstanding operations was a low bombing attack on Rumbeke airfield on 20th May in which five direct hits were scored on hangars. Another notable raid was that made on Mons railway station on the night of 4th November. Two journeys were made; the second in a wind of gale force and in all 54x112-lb and 108x25-lb bombs were dropped. A number of awards, including 4 DFCs and 1 DFM, were made to the squadron It returned to the UK on 17 February 1919 and disbanded at Tangmere on 4 July 1919. In June 1937, No. 148 Squadron was re-formed at Scampton as a long-range medium-bomber unit. It was equipped with one Wellesley and six Audaxes at first, but in July some more Wellesleys arrived and the Audaxes were allotted away. It moved to Stradishall in March 1938, and in September was re-mustered as a heavy night-bomber unit and re-equipped with some Heyford Ills formerly used by No. 99 Squadron. Changing to Wellington Is in March 1939, and in July six Wellingtons took part in a mass flight of Bomber Command aircraft to Bordeaux Soon after the war had begun, No.148 moved to Harwell and, equipped with Wellingtons and Ansons, became a training squadron in No.6 Group. Early in April 1940, it was absorbed into No.15 OTU, later re-formed in Malta in December 1940 - again as a bomber squadron equipped with Wellingtons - taking part in the North African and Italian campaigns. After the war the Squadron moved to Egypt until 15 January 1946 when it was disbanded being reformed again in November 1946 with Lancasters which were replaced with Lincolns in January 1950. disbanded again on 1st July 1955. On 1st July 1956, it reformed at Marham with Valiants as part of the V-bomber Force and in October 1956 was detached to Malta for attacks on Egyptian airfields during the Suez operation. In April 1965, the Squadron was disbanded after the grounding of the Valiants.
|Aircraft for : Flying Officer Jack Easter|
|A list of all aircraft associated with Flying Officer Jack Easter. A profile page including a list of all art prints for the aircraft is available by clicking the aircraft name.|
Manufacturer : Handley Page
Production Began : 1941
Retired : 1952
Number Built : 6177
Royal Air Force heavy Bomber with a crew of six to eight. Maximum speed of 280mph (with MK.VI top speed of 312mph) service ceiling of 22,800feet maximum range of 3,000 miles. The Halifax carried four .303 browning machine guns in the tail turret, two .303 browning machines in the nose turret in the MK III there were four .303 brownings in the dorsal turret. The Handley Page Halifax, first joined the Royal Air Force in March 1941 with 35 squadron. The Halifax saw service in Europe and the Middle east with a variety of variants for use with Coastal Command, in anti Submarine warfare, special duties, glider-tugs, and troop transportation roles. A total of 6177 Halifax's were built and stayed in service with the Royal Air Force until 1952
Manufacturer : Consolidated Aircraft of San Diego, California
Production Began : 1939
Retired : 1968
Number Built : 18188
he initial production batch of B-24As was completed in 1941, with many being sold directly to the Royal Air Force. Sent to Britain, where the bomber was dubbed "Liberator," the RAF soon found that they were unsuitable for combat over Europe as they had insufficient defensive armament and lacked self-sealing fuel tanks. Due to the aircraft's heavy payload and long range, the British converted these aircraft for use in maritime patrols. Learning from these issues, Consolidated improved the design and the first major American production model was the B-24C which also included improved Pratt & Whitney engines. In 1940, Consolidated again revised the aircraft and produced the B-24D. The first major variant of the Liberator, the B-24D quickly amassed orders for 2,738 aircraft. Overwhelming Consolidated's production capabilities, the aircraft was also built under license by North American, Douglas, and Ford. The latter built a massive plant at Willow Run, Michigan that, at its peak (August 1944), was producing fourteen aircraft per day. Revised and improved several times throughout World War II, the final variant, the B-24M, ended production on May 31, 1945. he United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) took delivery of its first B-24As in mid-1941. Over the next three years, B-24 squadrons deployed to all theaters of the war: African, European, China-Burma-India, the Anti-submarine Campaign, the Southwest Pacific Theater and the Pacific Theater. In the Pacific, to simplify logistics and to take advantage of its longer range, the B-24 (and its twin, the U.S. Navy PB4Y) was the chosen standard heavy bomber. By mid-1943, the shorter-range B-17 was phased out. The Liberators which had served early in the war in the Pacific continued the efforts from the Philippines, Australia, Espiritu Santo,Guadalcanal, Hawaii, and Midway Island. The Liberator peak overseas deployment was 45.5 bomb groups in June 1944. Additionally, the Liberator equipped a number of independent squadrons in a variety of special combat roles. The cargo versions, C-87 and C-109 tanker, further increased its overseas presence, especially in Asia in support of the XX Bomber Command air offensive against Japan. So vital was the need for long range operations, that at first USAAF used the type as transports. The sole B-24 in Hawaii was destroyed by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. It had been sent to the Central Pacific for a very long range reconnaissance mission that was preempted by the Japanese attack. The first USAAF Liberators to carry out combat missions were 12 repossessed LB-30s deployed to Java with the 11th Bombardment Squadron (7th Bombardment Group) that flew their first combat mission in mid-January. Two were shot up by Japanese fighters, but both managed to land safely. One was written off due to battle damage and the other crash-landed on a beach. US-based B-24s entered combat service in 1942 when on 6 June, four B-24s from Hawaii staging through Midway Island attempted an attack on Wake Island, but were unable to find it. The B-24 came to dominate the heavy bombardment role in the Pacific because compared to the B-17, the B-24 was faster, had longer range, and could carry a ton more bombs. In the European and North Africa Theatres On 12 June 1942, 13 B-24s of the Halverson Project (HALPRO) flying from Egypt attacked the Axis-controlled oil fields and refineries around Ploiești, Romania. Within weeks, the First Provisional Bombardment Group formed from the remnants of the Halverson and China detachments. This unit then was formalized as the 376th Bombardment Group, Heavy and along with the 98th BG formed the nucleus of the IX Bomber Command of the Ninth Air Force, operating from Africa until absorbed into the Twelfth Air Force briefly, and then the Fifteenth Air Force, operating from Italy. The Ninth Air Force moved to England in late 1943. This was a major component of the USSTAF and took a major role in strategic bombing. Fifteen of the 15th AF's 21 bombardment groups flew B-24s 1st August 1943 Operation Tidal Wave: A group of 177 American B-24 Liberator bombers, with 1,726 total crew, departed from Libya to make the first bombing of the oil refineries at Ploieşti, Romania, the major supplier of fuel to Germany. The mission temporarily halted oil production, but 532 airmen and 54 of the planes were lost. After a 40% loss of production, the refineries would be repaired more quickly than projected. Germany's Radio Reconnaissance Service had intercepted and decrypted the Allied messages about the raid and the departure from Libya, and anti-aircraft defenses were in place despite the low-level approach of the bombers.
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: